A collection of images has been shared thousands of times in social media posts that claim it shows “rejected designs for the Eiffel Tower” in the French capital Paris. This is false. The images — published in a report by a UK-based arts journal — show designs for a London tower that were submitted for an architectural competition in the late 19th century. According to the journal, one design was selected but the tower was only partially built before it was demolished in the early 20th century.
- Europe in brief: Commission approves aid for Slovenia following August floods
- COP28: EU commits to phasing out fossil fuels and tripling renewables
- How Green is South-East Europe?
- Posts falsely claim European Parliament photo was doctored
- Europe in brief: Manfred Weber to lead German CSU party in 2024 European elections