A collection of images has been shared thousands of times in social media posts that claim it shows “rejected designs for the Eiffel Tower” in the French capital Paris. This is false. The images — published in a report by a UK-based arts journal — show designs for a London tower that were submitted for an architectural competition in the late 19th century. According to the journal, one design was selected but the tower was only partially built before it was demolished in the early 20th century.
- Europe in brief: Belgian EU Presidency to push for agreement on platform workers directive
- Two years of Putin’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine
- A fragile EU unity amidst numerous crises?
- Doubts over US leadership prompt further calls for stronger EU defence
- Europe in brief: Eurozone inflation expected to slow down