1. Controller / Contact
The controller responsible for the processing of your personal data is
dpa Deutsche Presse-Agentur GmbH
(hereinafter also referred to as “we” or “us”)
Address: dpa Deutsche Presse-Agentur GmbH, PO Box 13 02 82, 20102 Hamburg
Phone: 040 4113-0
Fax: 040 4113-32305
If you have questions or suggestions regarding any data protection matter, including this privacy pol-icy; or if you would like to contact us to exercise your data subject rights; or would like to address general questions regarding the European Newsroom, please contact us using the contact details above.
2. Data Protection Officer
You may contact our data protection officer at
dpa Deutsche Presse-Agentur GmbH
Data Protection Officer
PO Box 13 02 82
3. Automated Data Processing
Whenever you access our website, your device automatically transmits data for technical reasons. These data are stored separately from other data, which you may transmit to us under certain circumstances:
- browser type/ -version;
- operation system used;
- the website you access;
- URL of the website visited prior to access (referrer-URL);
- date and time of access;
- HTTP-status code
The data is stored for the following purposes:
- delivering the content of our website;
- ensuring the security of our IT systems, e.g., to counter specific attacks on our systems and detect attack patterns;
- ensuring proper operation of our website and our IT systems, e.g. if errors occur that we can only rectify by storing the IP address;
- enabling criminal prosecution, averting of dangers as well as legal prosecution in the event of specific indication of criminal offenses;
Your truncated IP address is further processed to determine the number of visitors on our website.
For these purposes your truncated IP address is stored for a period of 180 days.
Our website is hosted on servers operated by our web host freistil IT Ltd, 13 Upper Baggot Street, Dublin D04W7K5, Ireland (“freistil”). This web host processes personal data on our behalf and in accordance with our instructions (within the meaning of Art. 4 No 8, 28 GDPR).
5. Making Contact
If you send or otherwise direct requests or questions at us using our general contact details above (Sec 1), we process
- your name;
- time and date of your communications as well as any further information you provide to us in your communication;
and depending on the method of communication you choose and / or the contact information you provide:
- your email address;
- your phone or fax number; and / or
- your address.
We process the aforementioned personal data to process and answer your communication. Therein also lies our legitimate interest, Art 6(1)(f) GDPR.
We use so-called “cookies”, which make it possible for us to offer you all the features of our website and to make our website more user-friendly. Cookies are small files that are stored on your end device, with the aid of your browser.
For our (cookie) consent management, we use the OneTrust Consent Manager provided by OneTrust Technology Limited, 82 St John St, Farringdon, London EC1M 4JN, United Kingdom (“OneTrust”).
For the United Kingdom, there exists an adequacy decision of the EU Commission pursuant to Art 45(1) GDPR according to which the United Kingdom offers an adequate level of data protection.
OneTrust qualifies as our processor within the meaning of Art 4 No 8, 28 GDPR and in that capacity OneTrust processes the cookie preferences you set, including whether you have given, refused or withdrawn your consent in order to provide a legally compliant consent management. On our behalf OneTrust will store your cookie preferences including the status of your consent, with the help of strictly necessary cookies on your device.
We use the following categories of cookies
- Strictly necessary
These cookies are strictly necessary for the operation and functions of our website. These cookies allow our website to be accessible and available; they provide essential and basic functionalities such as storage of your cookie preferences and that the website is accessible in your preferred language.
These cookies are dropped when third party content (specifically Twitter, a service operated by Twitter International Company and Twitter, Inc., respectively) is integrated on our website and allow comfortable use of the integrated content.
These cookies are dropped when third party content (specifically YouTube, a service operated by Google Ireland Limited and Google LLC, respectively) is integrated on our website. With the help of these cookies, we and Google Ireland Limited can track how you use our website and the therein integrated content. This allows us and Google Ireland Limited to better understand how our website and the integrated content is used and how we may improve our users’ experience accordingly. Your usage behaviour can be tracked across different websites, browsers and devices by means of a user ID (unique identifier).
- Marketing / Tracking
These cookies are dropped when third party content (specifically YouTube, a service operated by Google Ireland Limited and Google LLC, respectively) is integrated on our website and are used by us and Google Ireland Limited to track your use of the website and integrated content to compile and evaluate statistics on the use of such content. These cookies also enable us and Google Ireland Limited to better understand the use of the website and the integrated content and to improve these services accordingly. Marketing cookies allow us and Google Ireland Limited to serve you relevant and engaging advertisements based on an analysis of your usage patterns. Your usage behaviour can also be tracked across different websites, browsers or devices by means of a user ID (unique identifier).
We use the following cookies:
|OptanonConsent, OptanonAlertBoxClosed||1st Party:|
|Used to store your cookie preferences||1 year||Strictly necessary|
|Detects the default language of your browser||Session||Strictly necessary|
YouTube (Google Irland Limited)
|Registers a unique ID to keep statistics of the videos from YouTube the user has watched. Stores the users’ interests||Session||Marketing / Tracking|
|VISITOR_INFO1_LIVE –||3rd Party:|
YouTube (Google Ireland Limited)
|Stores the users‘ interests||6 month||analysis|
Twitter (Twitter International Company)
|Language selection to Twitter when clicking Twitter link||Session||Funktional|
Strictly necessary cookies are used without your consent, Sec 25(2) No 2 German Telemdia and Telecommunication Data Protection Act (“TTDSG”). Any processing of personal data in connection with these cookies is,
- based on our legitimate interests in the proper operation of our website and the provision of the websites functionalities that you have requested, Art 6(1)(f) GDPR;
- necessary to comply with our legal obligation to correctly store your cookie preferences, Art 6(1)(c) GDPR, Sec 25 TTDSG.
We use the open source analytics service Matomo on our website, which is hosted on our servers. We use Matomo without cookies. Matomo analyses your behaviour on our website based on the log files automatically created when you access the website or the information automatically transmitted by your end device (device type, screen resolution, operating system with version number, browser, geolocation) or the technical fingerprint. The IP address automatically transmitted by your end device is anonymized immediately and thus, before it is stored. We do not use the information obtained via Matomo for analysis of individual user behaviour and, in particular, do not combine this information with other information we process. Furthermore, the information obtained via Matomo is stored on our own servers and is not transmitted to third parties. We process the data based on our legitimate interest in measuring our web audience and to gain better insights on how our website is used, Art 6(1)(f) GDPR.
You have the right to object to the processing of your data in connection with Matomo by adjusting your settings by clicking on the OneTrust banner. The link is located in the footer of our website.
8. Third Party Content
On our website, we have integrated content from third-party providers. This content is loaded from the servers of these respective providers, so that your end device transmits certain technically necessary data to these third-party providers. In particular, these providers process the IP address assigned to you. Insofar as personal data is processed, this is done by these third-party as the respective controllers. For more information on how these third-party providers process your personal data, please refer to the privacy policies of the respective third-party providers mentioned below. Legal basis for the integration is your consent, Art 6(1)(a) GDPR.
You can withdraw your consent at any time with effect for the future, by adjusting your cookie settings by settings by clicking on the OneTrust banner. This is located on the bottom of your display. Withdrawal of your consent does not affect the lawfulness of processing based on such consent before its withdrawal.
Provided you have given your consent, we integrate on our website the Twitter feed of the European Data News Hub, a service provided by various news agencies in the EU, for which Agence France-Presse (« AFP »), 11-13-15 Place de la Bourse, 75002 Paris, France is primarily responsible.
For users outside the United States, Twitter is operated by Twitter International Company, One Cum-berland Place, Fenian Street Dublin 2, D02 AX07, Ireland. For users inside the United States, Twitter is operated by Twitter, Inc., 1355 Market Street, Suite 900, San Francisco, CA 94103, United States.
Please note that your personal data are shared by Twitter International Company with other Twitter entities and other third parties. That sharing entails that personal data are transferred to the United States and to other third countries, for which no adequacy decision of the EU Commission exists. In this case, Twitter International Company relies on the standard contractual clauses adopted by the EU Commission in accordance with Art 46(2)(c) GDPR.
Provided you have given your consent, we integrate on our website YouTube videos. YouTube is operated by Google LLC, 1600 Amphitheatre Pkwy Mountain View, California 94043, United States; for users residing in the EU, YouTube is operated by Google Ireland Limited, Gordon House, Barrow Street, Dublin 4, Ireland.
Please note that your personal data shared by Google with other Google entities and other third parties. That sharing entails that personal data are transferred to the United States and to other third countries, for which no adequacy decision of the EU Commission exists. In this case, Google Ireland Limited relies on the standard contractual clauses adopted by the EU Commission in accordance with Art 46(2)(c) GDPR.
Die Datenschutzerklärung von Google finden Sie unter https://policies.google.com/privacy.
9. Sharing Your Data
We will only share or otherwise disclose your personal data in the cases specified below:
- If necessary, for purposes of investigating the unlawful use of our website or products and services or for purposes of establishing our rights, personal data will be shared with law enforcement agencies and, where applicable, with injured third parties. Personal data will be shared, however, only if specific evidence exists, which is indicative of illicit or abusive conduct. Furthermore, we are required by law to provide information to certain public agencies. These include law enforcement agencies, government authorities that prosecute misdemeanours subject to fines, and fiscal authorities.
Your personal data may also be shared if we are subject to further claims by third parties that include disclosure your data. These may include, in particular, claims by data subjects in the context of exercising their rights under Chapter III of the GDPR.
Personal data will be shared not only on the basis of the legitimate interest we have in combatting abuse; in prosecuting crimes; and in securing, establishing, and enforcing claims, Art 6(1)(f) GDPR, but also on the basis of a statutory obligation, as contemplated by Art. 6(1)(c) GDPR.
We disclose personal data to auditors, accounting service providers, lawyers, banks, tax consultants and similar bodies insofar as this is necessary for the provision of our services (Art. 6(1)(b) GDPR) or the proper operation of our business (Art. 6(1)(f) GDPR) or we are obliged to do so (Art. 6(1)(c) GDPR).
- In providing our services and related functionalities, we rely on third-party undertakings and third party service providers (“processors” within the meaning of Art 4 No 8, 28 GDPR). In these cases, personal data are shared with these processors for further processing. These processors process personal data on our behalf and in accordance with our instructions.
- IT service provider
- Cloud service provider
- Software service provider
Sharing personal data is justified on the grounds that we have a legitimate interest in changing the form of our undertaking to align, whenever necessary, with the economic and legal particularities on the ground, Article 6(1)(f) GDPR.
10. Provision of Your Personal Data
Even though, we automatically process data when you access our website, you are not legally nor contractually obliged to provide your data in connection with the use of our website.
However, the provision of your personal data is necessary so that you can access the website and use the provided functions. In addition, the provision of your personal data is necessary so that we can process your inquiries. Without providing your personal data, you will not be able to access the website. In the case of inquiries, we cannot process your inquiry without the provision of your personal data.
11. Deletion of Personal Data
Further storage of your personal data only occurs in the following cases:
- To the extent that we are bound by law to retain your data, we will store your data throughout the time period prescribed by law (Art 6(1)(c) GDPR). In particular, statutory rules and regulations governing storage of data can arise from the retention periods contemplated by the Handelsgesetzbuch (Commercial Code) or by the Abgabenordnung (German Fiscal Code).
- To the extent the data is required for criminal prosecution or for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims. Therein also lies our legitimate interest, Art 6(1)(f) GDPR.
If data must be retained for the purposes detailed above, processing is restricted. The data is then no longer available for further use.
12. Your Rights
As a data subject you have the right to excercise your data subjects rights using the contact details provided in Sec 1 above. You have the following rights:
- Within the scope of Art 15 GDPR and § 34 Federal Data Protection Act (“BDSG”), you have the right to obtain from us, access to the personal data concerning you. This includes information on whether and to which extent we process data concerning you.
- Within the scope of Art. 16 GDPR, you have the right to obtain from us the rectification of any inaccurate personal data concerning you.
- Given the prerequisites described in Art 17 GDPR and § 35 BDSG, you have the right to obtain from us the erasure of personal data concerning you.
- Under Art 18 GDPR, you have the right to obtain from us the restriction of processing.
- Within the scope of Art. 20 GDPR, you have the right to receive from us the personal data concerning you, which you have provided to us, in a structured, commonly used, and machine-readable format. Further, you have the right to transmit those data to another controller.
13. Right of objection
Under Art 21 GDPR, you have the right to object, on grounds relating to your particular situation, at any time to the processing of personal data concerning you which, inter alia, is based on Art. 6(1)(e) or (f). GDPR. We shall no longer process your personal data, unless we demonstrate compelling legitimate grounds for the processing which override your interests, rights, and freedoms or for the establishment, exercise, or defence of legal claims.
14. Right to Lodge a Complaint
If you are of the opinion that the processing of your personal data infringes the GDPR and / or the BDSG, you have the right to lodge a complaint with a data protection authority in accordance with Art.77 GDPR.
15. Data Processed When You Exercise Your Right
Finally, we advise that we process the personal data transmitted by you, when you exercise your rights under Art 7(3)(1) as well as Art 15 through 22 GDPR, not only for the purpose of complying with these rights, but also so that we can demonstrate such compliance. Further, we will process your personal data to defend our legal position.
This processing is based upon the legal basis of Art 6(1)(c) GDPR in conjunction with Art 7(3)(1) and Art 15 through 22 GDPR and § 34(2) BDSG.
Further, we will process your personal data in connection with your data subject right request to defend our legal position. Therein lies our legitimate interest, Art 6(1)(f) GDPR.
Neither by law nor by contract are you required to provide your personal data, however, we may refuse to act on your request to exercise your data subject rights pursuant to Art 12(2)(2) GDPR if you do not provide us, after being requested to do so, with the data required for your identification.